Writing for expression and discovery is a lifelong practice of mine. Before I had any conscious awareness of writing as a healing tool, words helped me make sense of my environment. They gave me a home when home itself was often unstable. Over the years my pen has been my confidante, therapist, cheerleader, advocate, browbeater, detective, guru, lover and decision-maker; amongst other things. Crucially along the way too, I recognised my pen was a freedom fighter and naming my fullest truth in a patriarchal culture, a deeply radical act.
Writing a Women’s Life is the result of this knowing. My intentions in offering this new course are:
• To facilitate individual writing journeys combining spontaneous emotional expression and active, objective analysis
• To explore how our identity as women conforms or not to an unquestioned male script
• To map our individual stories onto key archetypes of womanhood
• To engage with each archetype and actively choose a life-affirming relationship to it
• To support the re-framing of old stories, and the emergence of consciously created new ones
This course has nothing to do with ‘talent’, competition or writing skills. It’s for women from all writing backgrounds, or none. Everyone is welcome. You will be supported with writing, it doesn’t matter if you haven’t done it before, this is about the stories you have to tell, and my role is to help you express these. The course is about finding validation and freedom from expectations, while exploring the boundaries of our own truth. It will be experiential and fun, as well as edgy and illuminating. My invitation to you is a simple one: join me in a group of other women, pick up your pen and write into the truth at the centre of your being.
Dates : TBA
Venue : Central Bristol
“Women catch courage from the women whose lives and writings they read, and women call the bearer of that courage friend.”