Council is a profoundly non-hierarchical, simple and powerful form that builds empathy, truth-telling, attentiveness, clarity and community. It is fundamentally about relationship and creating a whole from many parts. It is a practice I love and am fully committed to in my own life. A way that teaches me how to relate authentically and with deep respect to all the parts of myself, to others and to the more-than-human world, of which I’m a part.
I first discovered the form in 2006 when I was on a Vision Quest, guided by Pippa Bondy www.ancienthealingways.co.uk. Here I sat in circle, picked up the talking piece and my journey of connecting and healing through Council practice began.
Council is woven around six key intentions:
- Speaking from the heart
- Listening from the heart
- Being spontaneous
- Communicating the essence of a matter
- Speaking to what will serve yourself, the circle and the Highest Good
- Respecting confidentiality
It’s a practice that can be offered in many settings and for many reasons and some of these include:
- To deepen into a theme or a topic
- To mark a transition
- To explore differences and challenges
- To acknowledge and celebrate a special event
- To seek specific support and guidance
The Way of Council is a modern form speaking to our times and the challenges we are facing within and without. The wisdom of the circle is ancient.
If Council calls you in any way, please get in touch with me if you’d like to explore this further.